Monday, December 20, 2010

Homemade Holidays!!!




This past year has just flown by. Our daughter Olivia is now eight months old and quite the little mover. She is such a happy baby who is always smiling and laughing.


I have been cooking up a storm as this is my favorite time of year to do so. The other day I made a rosemary chicken lasagna with homemade ricotta and I could not believe how easy it was. I got the recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's blog GOOP if you don't already subscribe to it I would highly recommend it.

www.goop.com


I have also been making lots of homemade candy. One of my friends was asking me about it and when I told her how simple it was she didn't believe me so I thought I must share with all of you.

Candy is a perfect thing to give for holiday gifts and to have around the house durning the holiday season.

Happy Holidays!!!




Jamielyn xoxo




Homemade Ricotta by Barefoot Contessa

Serves: Makes about 2 cups ingredients

4 cups whole milk

2 cups heavy cream

1 teaspoon kosher salt

3 tablespoons good white wine vinegar


preparation

Set a large sieve over a deep bowl. Dampen 2 layers of cheesecloth with water and line the sieve with the cheesecloth.

Pour the milk and stream into a stainless steel or enameled pot such as Le Creuset. Stir in the salt. Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute until it curdles. It will separate into thick parts (the curds) and milky parts (the whey).

Pour the mixture into a cheesecloth-lined sieve and allow it to drain into the bowl at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes, occasionally discarding the liquid that collects in the bowl. The longer you let the mixture drain, the thicker the ricotta. (I tend to like mine on the thicker side but some prefer it moister.) Transfer the ricotta to a bowl, discarding the cheesecloth and any remaining whey. Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. The ricotta will keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days.



Chocolate fleur de sel toffee by Jamielyn


1- stick of butter

1- cup of sugar

12- oz of good quality chocolate, I use Valrhona or Callebaut (chips or chopped)

Sea Salt (I use fleur de sel wich is a french sea salt) optional


Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Heat butter and sugar in a medium sauce pan over medium heat (stir often) until it tuns a medium amber color. Once done pour onto cookie sheet and tip pan so it spreads about a 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with chocolate and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Top with sea salt (you can top with any nuts, dried fruit or candy)







No comments:

Post a Comment