Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nonna Elvira's Lasagna Verde from Angelini Osteria





I am now 20 weeks pregnant and finally feeling good. My appetite is back and I am constantly craving Italian food. Thank goodness for yoga or I would be putting on some serious pounds.

My favorite Italian restaurant is Madeo which I have mentioned before, I always order the same things, raw baby artichoke salad, the sea bass, spinach ravioli and the chocolate tart. Another restaurant I love which is in walking distance to my house is Angelini Osteria. Many would argue that this is better then Madeo but I would disagree, although it is delicious. One of the things they are famous for is their Lasagna Verde, I have heard about this from many people and Giada showcased it on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" but for some reason I had never ordered it. A few months ago I went to The Taste of Los Angeles and Angelini Osteria there was serving this so I decided to try it and wow did I become hooked. It is indescribable, needless to say this is now what I order.

My friend Anne just had a new baby so I decided to make one for her family and one for mine. I have to say it came out pretty amazing and Olivia loved it!!!





Nonna Elvira's Lasagna Verde with Beef and Veal Ragu -

ingredients

Ragu

* 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
* 2 carrots peeled, finely chopped
* 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1/2 pound lean ground beef
* 1/2 pound lean ground veal
* 1/2 pound chicken livers, finely chopped
* 2 cups water
* 1/4 c. tomato paste
* 1 cup dry red wine

Bechemel

* 5 T. butter
* 5 T. all purpose flour
* 2 1/2 c. whole milk
* 1 3/4 inch diameter black truffle, finely chopped (about 4 tsp. optional)

Lasagna

* 1 pound lasagna noodles, preferably spinach
* 1 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
* 3 T. butter, melted
* olive oil for frying
* 2 c. baby spinach leaves

preparation

For Ragu: Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots celery, and onion. Cook until soft, stirring often about 8 minutes. Add beef, veal and chicken livers. Cook until meats are cooked through, stirring often and breaking up lumps with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Whisk 2 cups water and tomato paste in small bowl. Add to meat mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Add wine. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium. simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made ahead. Chill uncovered until cool, then cover and keep refrigerated.)

For Bechamel: Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Gradually whisk in milk, then truffle (if using); whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. (Can be made one day ahead. Chill uncovered until cool, then cover and keep refrigerated.)

For Lasagna: Preheat oven to 400. Cook lasagna noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain; rinse under cold running water. Pat noodles dry. Butter bottom and sides of 15×10x2 glass baking dish. cover bottom of dish with noodles. Spread 1/2 cup of bechamel over noodles. Spread one cup ragu over bechamel. Sprinkle with 1/4 c. Parmesan. Repeat 3 more times noodles, bechamel, ragu and cheese. Top with layer of noodles, spread remaining bechamel over, and sprinkle with 1/4 c. cheese. Drizzle with melted butter. Can be made 8 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.

Bake lasagna until bubbling at edges and golden, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Meanwhile, pour enough olive oil into heavy large saucepan to reach depth of 2 inches. Heat oil to 375. Working in small batches, place spinach leaves in hot oil (will splatter). Fry spinach leaves 20 seconds. Using slotted spoon transfer fried spinach to paper towels. Garnish lasagna with fried spinach.
Instead of truffles I used truffle oil (make sure you get a high quality oil which will be expensive but a little goes a long way) I like Terrabianco Tarufo which I usually get at www.deananddeluca.com but they currently don't have any.
I got the ground beef and ground veal from Huntington Meats at the Farmers Market in Los Angeles www.huntingtonmeats.com (this is where I get all of my meat)
I got the chicken livers from Puritan Poultry at the Farmers Market in Los Angeles
bon appétit
Jamielyn xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment